September 27, 2020

Aadarsh Web Solution

Immensing The Knowledge of Digital Marketing World

A Good PPC Structure – What Is It And Why Is It Important?

When it comes to the right PPC account structure, it always seems that everyone has a different approach towards it. Even within a small organization, you will find disagreement about the best way to structure things. Why is it that there doesn’t seem to be any unified theory about a good PPC account structure? Well, according to PPC analysts, there is nothing called “Perfect” PPC structure and hence what you need to focus is on the perfect PPC structure for YOUR particular account. An ideal account structure is certainly going to be different for a local advertiser as compared to a national or an international one. Definitely, lead generation accounts won’t be structured in the same manner for e-commerce as for SaaS.

However, despite the different notions carried by different people, there are some common rules that apply to all types of accounts. They are:

  • You should make controlling the performance of your site as simple as possible
  • You should tightly align keywords and ads and
  • You should be as segment as needed

It is also vital to consider that the account structure determines the level of manageability of your account. There is indeed no point in having a million tightly themed and segmented ads if you have only one PPC manager who is managing everything.

Does granularity has anything to do with PPC account structure?

If you’re someone who likes to build large and granular accounts, you should be aware that this may have some kind of problems. The trouble is that there are so many other long-tail keywords out there. But what does granularity has to do with a good PPC account structure? Well, according to PPC experts, granularity, for its own sake, doesn’t have much to do to help anyone but it adds layers of extra work. It is possible to sweep up all traffic from long tail keywords with shorter phrase and modified broad keywords and thereby save yourself from a heap of work.

It is then that you understand that the time that you spent organizing bids and ad copy for such long low-search volume and unnecessary keywords, should have been rather spent on testing the more important keywords. This happens more when you realize that most of the keywords were so long that you couldn’t even write an optimized ad for them.

What is the party line?

Thus the question remains, what needs to be done in order to make a good PPC account structure? Well, Google’s official recommendations, when it comes to the perfect PPC account structure are always straightforward:

  • Separate all your campaigns geographically if required
  • Create campaigns and ad groups to mirror your website’s structure

By mirroring your existing website structure, this can work well because it aligns ad groups and all other landing pages. If we’re going to have the same ad copy with the same landing page, you might consolidate with the same landing page and combine to keep things simple.

Therefore, we see that the perfect account structure doesn’t exist in any form. In short it is whatever makes your account easier to manage. If you get it right, this will keep the rest of you job simple and allow you to focus on 20% tasks and get results of the rest 80%.

Amit Singh is a co-founder of Aadarsh Web Solution, an affordable digital marketing agency. He is also sharing his SEO expertise through his blog.